It’s colder times here in the Southern Hemisphere and for many that means an inevitable onset of a cold or flu. Could you imagine making it through the winter months with neither? The truth is that it is not the weather alone that creates the common cold or flu but rather, it is the state of our body. If your system is weakened or stressed you may be more vulnerable to the pathogens that cause these ‘common’ ailments. Fortifying your immunity and therefore your entire body can mean that you may not only recover in top speed but, possibly side step them all together! Here’s my top 5 flu fighting and immune building strategies:
- Ginger, Lemon, Apple Cider Vinegar and Raw Honey – These guys are on the front line and my first port of call to help boost the immune system. I combine them in a warming drink to make a fortifying ‘Immunity Tea’ for my family and I (the recipe is below).
- Broth – Bone or Vegetable Broth contain a load of health giving minerals that strengthens both body and gut. Not to mention incredibly comforting on cold days. You can find a simple Sea Vegetable Broth here Basic Sea Vegetable Broth or, Bone Broth recipe here
- Chaga – Chaga is a medicinal mushroom that has incredibly powerful immune-enhancing properties. According to David Wolfe, this fungi is also anti-fungal, anti-tumor, anti-cancer, anti-microbial and assist longevity. Included in your daily diet, Chaga will quietly work to build health. In a powder form Chaga is perfect for adding to smoothies, teas or in my ‘Immune Boost Balls’ (recipe for these is below).
- Vitamin C – Came Camu has the highest botancial grade Vitamin C on the planet!! This superfood gives immense fortitude to your immune system. Vitamin C is essential in any immune boosting plan as it’s an antioxidant that stops free radical movement.
- REST – Sometimes all our body needs is to STOP and have time out to rest and restore. I do not believe that we should always ‘solider on’ with symptoms. Being productive in the long term is at times less about ‘doing’ and more ‘being’.
- 3cm of thinly sliced Ginger
- 1 tsp of raw honey
- 1 tsp of ACV
- 1/2 freshly squeezed lemon
- 1 cup of boiled water
Add ginger, honey, ACV and lemon to 1 cup of boiled water. Stir well and enjoy this warming drink.
Immune Boost Balls:
- 2 tbsp of peanut butter
- 1 tbsp of raw honey
- 1 tsp Chaga powder
- 1 tsp Reishi powder
- 3 tbsp of almond meal
- 1 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 1-2 tsp cocoa
Combine ingredients together in a bowl then, roll mixture into balls.