This is THE tastiest Dahl recipe that I have created .. believe me, I have had many attempts over the past 14 years when I made Dahl for the first time ever! With ginger and turmeric it is a warming dish perfect in these cooler months. It is also rich in protein as Lentils combined with Brown Rice sign off on all the essential amino acids to make it a complete protein meal. Hope you love it as much as I do!
- 1 cup spilt red lentils
- 1 grated turmeric root or 2tsp dried ground turmeric
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 3-4 washed coriander roots
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 100ml coconut cream
- 1/2 cup of green peas
- 2-3 cups of pure water
- 1 tsp celtic sea salt
- cardamon seeds from 3 broken pods
- Soak the red lentils in water for 12-24 hours.
- Discard the soak water and then wash in colander until no longer sudsy.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large saucepan and gently fry the onion, ginger, coriander root, cardamon seeds and turmeric, stirring well.
- Add the lentils, salt and water, bring to boil, and keep skimming the froth.
- Reduce to a simmer with lid on for 45-50 mins, stirring regularly to ensure lentils are not sticking to the saucepan.
- In the last 10 minutes, add the green peas and coconut cream.
- Steamed vegies and brown rice served with the dahl make a tasty and nutritious meal.