Lunch has never been my strength. It’s a precious time of the day where I can get ‘stuff’ done so, in the past I would either skip it or grab a cup of tea and toast?! The thing is, lunch is SO important. This is the meal that sets you up for the afternoon. Miss it and the 3 o’clock slump hits hard. Rather than push through the afternoon in an energy lull, I’ve learnt to prepare quick, easy and nutritious lunches that truly keep me fuelled until afternoon. Here are my 5 fav go-to lunches for when I am at home:
- Eggs and Greens: What is easier than throwing 2 eggs on the fry pan with what ever greens are in the fridge. Beans, Peas, Spinach, Kale, Broccoli, Beetroot stems.. throw it all in! Cook in a fry pan with Coconut Oil and, add some Cumin and Turmeric to taste – Delish!
- Spinach Salad: Fat and protein are key to feeling satiated and, to having endurance. So always add good fats, like Avocado, to a Salad. Add protein of choice (think Chickpeas, Tuna, Eggs, Almonds, Goji Berries, Pumpkin Seeds to name a few) to 2 handfuls of Spinach leaves, Avocado and any other veggie in the fridge (Cucumber, Carrot, Beetroot, Sprouts). Drizzle with a simple dressing of Apple Cider Vinegar and Hemp Oil (Olive Oil and Flaxseed Oil are good choices too) and Viola! Lunch ready.
- Hummus and Salad wrap: Choose either Cos Lettuce leaves, Nori rolls or a Wholegrain wrap and add grated Carrot & Beetroot, Spinach, Sprouts, Avocado and hummus. Roll up and roll on with your day energised!
- Brown Rice Salad: Make up a batch early in the week to have on hand for lunches. You can find the recipe for ‘Mon’s Moroccan Rice Salad’ here..
Eat with big handful of fresh Lettuce leaves drizzled with Apple Cider Vinegar and Olive Oil. Lunch done!
- Sustaining Smoothie: There is nothing quicker than blending some Fruit, Greens and Fats together for a nutritious on-the-go lunch. This is one of my fav Smoothie recipes: Blend together *2 cups of Almond Milk *2 frozen Bananas *2 Dates *1tbsp Chia Seeds *1 Tbsp Coconut Oil **1tbsp Peanut Butter *1 tbsp Cacao Powder *1 tbsp Cacao Nib.
Infact, it’s lunch time now so I’m off to the Kitchen for a Sustaining Smoothie! Yummmmmmm. xo